Sunday, July 17, 2011

Home, home on the range

7/17/2011

Sunny 93


Well, as most of you know Lacey and I are now living in Montana, and we are making the most out of our big move. We live about 1/2 of a mile from the base of Mt. Helena and we have already conquered it twice. Our latest hike was about 7 miles, as we took the more scenic route to the top. On our way up we encountered a mama deer with her two fawns. We made sure to keep some distance, as she didn't seem to like us moving around her. We both felt like we were watching the end of the Sunday Morning Show with those nature scenes. Making it to the top of the mountain is such a thrill and I don't think it will ever get old because there is always something new to see. As for my job, I'm really loving what I do. I've already been to a few Western cities and learned about their histories. One of the most unique places would have to be Butte, MT. It is situated just west of the Continental Divide at an elevation of 5,300 feet. Up until the 1960s it was the biggest city in Montana but since many of the mines have shut down the population has dropped from over 150,000 to just around 40,000 people. It still has the feeling of a Western mining town with saloons at every corner and even some historic brothel houses still around. On Thursday I went to Yellowstone to work on an air shelter. I felt like Moses, only being able to see the promised land but not being able to enter. I will say however that the drive was amazing and I can't wait to go back! Lacey and I will be going to Glacier National Park this weekend....more to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment