Monday, March 29, 2010

Take me home, country roads

Current location: Bluefield, WV
Current weather: Light rain 46 degrees
Miles traveled today: 489.3
Total miles: 489.3



This morning we kicked off our travels at 8am. We woke up to a heavy frost...hopefully we won't run into anymore of this the rest of the trip, 80s by the end of the week?!? We then headed off to the Uhaul on the west side to pick up our trailer. I was hoping that this would take us maybe 10 minutes.....wrong!



I backed up to the trailer and the guy told us that we had the wrong hitch. I thought it would be ok because we had another hitch ball in the back of the truck. It turns out that they were the same size. This made me really mad because I had called 3 days before to make sure that we had the right ball size and they told me that we would be fine....I guess Uhaul couldn't handle our big balls! It took the guy a little over an hour to change our hitch out, which was entirely way too long. This put us on the road a little after 9. If there is anything I've learned from this job is that whenever you think a job will be quick and easy, it usually never is the case.

Our travels then took us through Xenia, Ohio, and if you're a weather nerd like me or lived through the 70s this town should ring a bell. Almost 36 years to the day April 3, 1974 the single largest tornado outbreak on record occurred. Almost 150 tornadoes in 13 states with nearly 330 deaths. Xenia was by far the strongest and even rivals the 1999 Moore, OK tornado.






We then moved into West Virginia, the coal capital of the world. I just took this picture because i thought the smoke looked cool against the dark blue clouds in the background. So here I am now in Bluefield, WV a town that sits in a valley right along the West Virginia/Virginia border.

Next up....North Carolina

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for doing this Ben. Sorry to hear about the hitch...brings back bad memories. Great read and awesome pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure the other ball ya'll needed was in the white truck?! I also do recall the Xenia tornado since I grew up about 45minutes away in Indiana. I hope all that it is the last frost I see as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep them coming Ben. This is just like going on vacation. Funny about your ride through the tunnel. Never heard that one.
    Grandma Evans

    ReplyDelete