Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Going green

Current location: Guymon, OK
Current weather: Sunny 64
Miles traveled today: 448.3
Total miles traveled: 3,665


I have often wondered where someone really lives when they say that they are from the middle of no where. My question has been answered.....Southwestern Kansas. It took all my strength and will power not to gouge my eyes out from pure boredom. I also thought that when I pulled onto the Kansas Turnpike that it was some kind of a joke. I don't think anyone should ever have to pay to drive in Kansas, Kansas should be paying us! We did however stop in Greensburg, KS to see the worlds largest hand dug well. There were numerous signs along the side of the road that told us to stop, so we did. I'm sure all of my fellow weather nerds know all about Greensburg, and for those of you who don't know I will tell you. May 4th 2007 an EF5 tornado went right through the middle of town destroying 95% of the town and killing 11 people. It literally looked like some one dropped an atomic bomb on US soil. This picture was taken 12 days after the tornado from the city center just to give an idea. Almost 3 years later and the city is still in major rebuilding mode. They are not only rebuilding, but they are building all homes and businesses "green" powering the entire city by solar and wind power. The next picture is taken from the city center as well looking southwest, and as you can see many homes and businesses are yet to be built back up. The water tower is at the location of the hand dug well. We were not allowed however to go down into the well because it has been closed since 2007. I talked to the lady in the small temporary gift shop and she told us that the well is 109 feet deep and 32 feet in diameter. They are set to build the new museum this summer and the well will open back up to the public soon after.




Arriving at Greensburg and then leaving I started to realize how unlucky that town was to be dead in the path of this huge tornado. There is complete nothing in any direction yet this small town took the direct hit. One thing is for certain though, and that is that the people of Greensburg are very resilient and they will complete their "green" town. The lady in the gift shop told us...it may take 10 years but it will be done. It sure looks like they are well on their way.






Next up...Liberal, KS







2 comments:

  1. LIBERAL!!! I love that place! Hahaha... say hi to Pancake Blvd for me!!!

    Gonna be chasing this week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to believe people still live there after 3 years. What devistation. I remember driving across Kansas years ago and found it also very boring. It was the time of year when the wheat was in full bloom and ready to harvest. The wheat fields never ended. You talk about monotony? Ugh!
    Love you, Grandma & Grandpa

    ReplyDelete