Monday, April 5, 2010

I've seen fire, and I've seen rain and hail

Current location: Ames, IA
Current weather: Thunder 54 degrees
Miles traveled today: 510.2
Total miles traveled: 2,151.2



Today we left Purdue at 8:00am bound for Jefferson, IA. I was very close to calling the trip off for a day because of all the storms they were forecasted to get tonight into tomorrow. I put some of my meteorological skills to the test this morning and decided that if we could get here by 4pm we would still have a little bit of an opening to get the towers down before the rain. As we kept moving along into Iowa Nathan and I were noticing the clouds start to darken. I was getting nervous that my forecasting would be wrong and our day would be a waste, especially when we ran into quarter size hail for a couple minutes. Then out of no where a clearing appeared to our northwest and we had the window that we needed!


This picture is of a huge field fire just to the west of Iowa City, and it is also where we ran into the hail.








When we got to the farm they already had the man lift ready for us to use. We got a quick lesson on how to run the man lift and then up we went. We were a little scared at first especially with the stiff wind at the top of the tower, but we eventually calmed down and the towers came down as well. We did however have trouble with the base of the tower and will have to go back tomorrow and work on that more, if the weather gives us a break.

Here is a view from above as we take down the towers of the lone barn in the field. I really like this old barn and have taken many pictures of it when I have visited this site. Tomorrow we may have some severe weather so stay tuned for some cool weather pics!

Next up.....Jefferson, IA (round two)



No comments:

Post a Comment